The building, once home to Ruswil’s orphans and the poor, is now used to accommodate guests of the Swiss company. The neo-classical building, constructed in 1840, was extended, reconstructed externally, and finished to a very high standard internally. The guest house gives the company a face: durable quality with an understated appearance. SIGA employees from around the world regularly attend training courses in Ruswil, and the company’s European customers also receive training there. In the past, course attendees had to be split up and stay in various guest houses, but now the new hotel can accommodate them all.
External insulation and brick
The strong, robust appearance of the building, with its thick stone walls, was perfectly aligned with the requirements of SIGA – the structural physics were not. Thick external insulation was ruled out because the company wanted to retain the building’s traditional appearance. Instead, hollow masonry bricks filled with perlite to offer built-in insulation were chosen for the renovation. The upper floors of the building were removed and rebuilt on top of the original ground floor, using the filled monolithic bricks.
Extension creates more space
In order to fit 75 guest rooms into the hotel, the building was extended on its narrow side, with a design that reflects the strong geometric form and the rhythm of the original building. The deep window recesses, the stone walls, the large gable roof, and the materials used, are all in keeping with the traditional appearance of the building and allow visitors to feel its history. On the ground floor, there are semi-public rooms such as the reception area, event room, and the building’s restored chapel; the five upper floors house the guest rooms and a staff room. The renovation and extension have considerably enhanced the building and it now meets all modern standards
Project nameSIGA Guesthouse, Ruswil, Switzerland
ArchitectScheitlin Syfrig Architekten
ClientSiga Services AG
Year of completion2014