When the parish church of the Holy Guardian Angels was being constructed in Wałbrzych in 1899-1904, no one expected that more than a century later it would still function as the main Catholic hub of the city. The author of the project was architect Alexis Langer, a representative of the neo-Gothic style. The brick hall church with the net vault was created according to the Latin cross floor plan and supported by polygonal pillars. The temple’s historic roof is gabled, with an integrated tower topping the main entrance.
SPECIFIC ROOF DESIGN
Renovation of the church’s roof started in 2016, and the plan was to use tile in two colours, arrange a pattern on the roof’s surface and apply the unusual technique of constructing a valley. Clay roof tiles, engobed in anthracite and red colors – were chosen because of their indisputable similarity to the original materials, as well as their high quality and durability. Before the pattern was approved by the conservator, the renovation contractor prepared a model of the roof and presented several alternatives for the colour layout.
Jerzy Lisowski, president of Alpex Sp. z o. o., the contractor renovating the historic roof comments: “During the renovation of the Holy Guardian Angels Church’s roof, we had to face at least three challenges: a very steep roof, arranging a two-colour pattern with beaver tiles on the 34 slopes of the roof, as well as the construction of airtight valleys between the slopes. The pattern was made with extreme precision, and the special sheets enabled the tiles to interlock at the roof valley. This is a difficult and time-consuming solution, which is rarely used in Poland, and few roofers can do it. The appearance of this type of valley perfectly fits the neo-Gothic character of the building”.
Project nameThe Holy Guardian Angels Church, Wałbrzych, Poland
Koramic Beaver gothic cut, red & anthracite engobed
Year of completion2017